5 Essential Oils Moms Should Have At Home
Additional to the actual physical healing properties of essential oils, they have a powerful effect on our emotions and can aid us in our daily practice of feeling good and in balance. This is due to the fact that our sense of smell is directly connected to our limbic system, which is the one that works with our memories and emotions. Have you ever wondered why you love or despise a certain aroma? There is a high probability that this positive or negative reaction towards it has something to do with your memories. I personally love Orange Blossom because it makes me feel so good. In fact, my 2ndbrand Azahar means Orange Blossom in Spanish. I love this essence because it reminds me of my dad, who used to give me orange blossom water to soothe me whenever needed.
What I want to do in this blog post is to give moms a guideline of 5 safe essential oils to have in a natural first aid kit and their properties. Another thing… nowadays there are many essential oil brands, so please make sure to look for these 3 things when doing your shopping:
organically crafted - sustainable practices - high quality finish products
- Lavender Essential Oil - Lavandula angustifolia
- Supports relaxation and it is a good sleeping aid
- Promotes a feeling of balance
- Strengthens immune system
- Its skin healing properties can help with minor cuts and infections
- It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and analgesic properties that can help you relieve mild stomach aches.
Note: These are the products you can find in our store containing lavender essential oil.
For babies: Good Night Sleep Pillow Spray, Natural Insect Repellent, Natural Baby Soap and Soothing Baby Wash. For moms: Sauca Botanicals Face Elixir, Lavender Honey Lip Balm, Refresco Skin Nourishing Skincare Regimen, Lavender Vanilla Massage Candle.
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil – Citrus sinensis
- It has an uplifting aroma that supports feelings of joy
- Promotes focus and concentration
- Same as Lavender, it also has anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and analgesic properties - try mixing them together
- It works well as a carrier oil aiding in the absorption of other ingredients
- It has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties
Note: Our Natural Liquid Soap has a delicious blend of citrus essential oils including sweet orange.
- Cedarwood Essential Oil – Juniperus virginiana
- Its grounding effect will make you feel connected to the earth and promote a feeling of self-confidence
- Can be used as a mild sedative
- Used in many natural repellent formulations
- Its skin healing properties can help you with minor cuts and burns - try mixing it with lavender essential oil to strengthen this property.
- It is a natural expectorant - I like to use this oil instead of eucalyptus when my kids have mucus
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – Melaleuca alternifolia
- This is a powerful oil with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antifungal properties
- Use it as a spot treatment for acne, as a healing ingredient for fungal infections and even to repel lice
- Clean minor cuts and wounds and use it as a natural antibiotic
- It has airborne antimicrobial properties, meaning that you can use it to clean the air of a room when virus or bacteria is present – use an ultrasonic diffuser
- It is a great natural expectorant - try mixing it with cedarwood to strengthen this property
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Mentha piperita
- This oil is the classical refresher and it can also make you feel uplifted and full of energy
- It stimulates creativity – mix it with sweet orange to enhance this property
- It has antipyretic properties meaning that it can help reduce mild fever - please note the word mild!
- Supports immune system
- It has powerful antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and airborne antimicrobial properties – mix it with tea tree to strengthen this property
- It is a natural decongestant and expectorant